The Morse’s Teas building at the apex of Hollis and Lower Water Streets was not the first building at that location. In 1753, three years after Halifax was founded, British army agent Thomas Saul had a large stone house built on the property. The…

The Capitol Theatre was located on Barrington Street at the foot of Spring Garden Road in downtown Halifax. The Capitol wasn’t the first entertainment venue to occupy that spot. Its predecessor was a music hall, which opened in 1877, originally…

The Mumford Road area of Halifax is one of the busiest shopping districts in the province. It is difficult to imagine a time when this area was considered the outskirts of town, and a lone building was surrounded by nothing but fields, trees, and an…

Daniel Warnell (1814-1888) was born in Chezzetcook, Nova Scotia. He was first recorded in census records in 1851 as living in the Jeddore area, although his son, William, was recorded as born in Salmon River Bridge in 1843. Daniel worked as a…

Yarmouth County has a rich history with the sea, and not surprisingly, the shipping industry was very important to the area for many years. During the golden age of sail, Yarmouth had several shipping-related businesses, one of the most prominent…

Samuel Cunard was born in Halifax on November 21st, 1787, to loyalist parents from the southern United States. During the war of 1812, Cunard became a merchant and ship owner, establishing 'A. Cunard & Son' with his father on Upper Water Street…

"Clean Energy" is a term often used to describe wind and solar power. But in 1921, another method of "Clean Energy" called "wave power" was being talked about in Halifax. Newspapers reported that a local man, Osborne H. Parsons, had invented a method…

In 1893 William Topple purchased 35 acres of land on the Herring Cove Road from Mary Ann Gray, the daughter of William and Elizabeth (Drysdale) Yeadon. The land was part of the 1771 grant to Captain William Spry, acquired by the Yeadons in the 1830s…