The Bridgewater Bandstand
In June of 1898, the local paper of the day, Bridgewater Bulletin, announced that the Bridgewater Band was to build a bandstand. Prominent citizen, W. H. Owen (1842-1928), donated a site on his property on the eastern side of the old bridge, and lumber was donated by Harry Ramey, a bass player in the Band and a foreman at the Lower Mill of Davison's Lumber Ltd. By August, the bandstand was complete. It was a lovely octagon shape with peaked roof and high-level floor, making it possible for all to see the Band playing.
Due to poor acoustics on Owen's property, the bandstand was moved to a new location in 1910. It was transported across the bridge, up King Street to Empire Street, up Empire Street to Queen Street, over Queen Street to Dominion Street, down Dominion Street to Pleasant Street, to reach the so-called Town lot. There, they maneuvered the bandstand down the bank and placed it between what was, at the time, the Royal Bank (on its right) and a drug store (on its left). Many trees had to be cut to move the bandstand along the streets.
For reasons unrecorded, by 1952, the bandstand no longer stood at its new site, as the Bridgewater Fire Department was discussing building a bandstand for their Band. Again, in 1979, the Bridgewater Band reported that a bandstand was desperately needed. It's not until 2005 that planning begins for a gazebo-style bandstand that would also provide storage for band equipment. With plans prepared by Nova Scotia Community College students, the new bandstand was erected at Shipyards Landing Park located at south King Street. It was completed and officially opened on June 10, 2007. During the summer months, band concerts are held there on Wednesday evenings.